Friday, January 9, 2015

Wrapping up the holidays (IN MAJOR OVERLOAD!)…and The News.


Whew!! I can't believe the holiday season is over!  It was a whirlwind of activity and events, which makes me even more wishful that I updated my blog more frequently.  So much to remember and share!
Matt and I went to a coworker's wedding in December who had their reception at Vulcan Park.  
Matt has NEVER been to the Vulcan!  There is so much that I'm realizing he still hasn't experienced of this city! Vulcan Park has such a great overlook of the city.  You can see it behind us :)
Another place in town that has a similar view is The Club…but we're not members…must work on that :)


As we started preparing for Christmas and setting up our tree, I realized that we haven't gotten our annual Christmas ornament yet.  I like to have one every year…just a sentimental thing.  
So, friends of mine who are still raising funds for the adoption of their sweet daughter were making and selling these ornaments (shown below).  It was perfect!  And we were given the opportunity to donate to a much worthy cause :)


I must say, sending and receiving Christmas cards is one of my most favorite things at Christmas.  We display them in different ways each year.  Next year, I think I'll make a Christmas tree on our wall with them.  A sorority sister shared that idea a few weeks ago.  There is so much to be thankful for, and friends are certainly one of them.  I look at these cards while doing anything around the house, from cleaning to enjoying a hot cup of chocolate on the couch…it reminds me how much God has blessed me, and how much love is shared amongst us. 



I also baked banana nut bread and wrapped up several loaves to take to neighbors around us :)




There were even cards on the backside of this so you could see just as many when you came in the front door as you could sitting on the couch!


One of my best friends, Elizabeth, and I usually grab brunch around this time of year just before Christmas.  This year we went to Alabama Biscuit.  I've never been there before, and I loved how they celebrated our state!  I love Alabama, and they seem, too, as well :)






You may have guessed, but yes, all they serve are biscuits!  You have many to choose from…sweet or savory.. We joked that Elizabeth's came out looking a little like dog food….however, it tasted great.  Some kind of nut butter and honey. 
And mine was pure delicious!  Goat cheese, honey, and pecans…YUM.



We were getting ready to go to my work's Christmas party..I think we sort of dressed a like here :) Except I'm the only one who had on skinny jeans :)  (thankfully..)

I asked my mom for a Julia Childs' cookbook for Christmas..I am looking forward to diving into this little jewel soon.

While Matt enjoyed putting together his new tool box on Christmas morning! (while wearing his new Baylor beanie, of course!) Having a man who can put stuff together and be handy around the house is SUCH a blessing!

Tada!!!  
I think he may actually hate that I put this picture on the blog :)  But I think it's so cute!! and it shows the finished product..

Well, friends…Meet Campbell. 
She is a rescue we found near Matt's grandparent's house while were were there for a day visiting after Christmas.  How anyone could just dump this sweet little girl is beyond me.  She had gum lacerations, a couple ticks on her, a wound on her backside, and just looked like skin and bones.  
And to top it off, she's just a puppy.  Maybe 7-8 months old. 


I couldn't stand it.  I asked Matt if we could take her home and get her well.  After looking into my sweet, precious, begging, beautiful eyes (ahem)…he said yes! 
So, we promptly spent A LOT of money.  Geez.
But she had to be bathed, de-wormed, get up to date on all vaccines, and have blood work done.
Plus, new food, kennel, leash, collar.  OH my goodness. 
But look at that face.  Precious. 


She and our other furry babies get along great and play like they've known each other their entire lives. 
We named her Campbell for the street name we found her on, which is the street on which Matt's grandparents live.  

Traveling home...



New Years Eve!!!  Matt and I found this great little romantic bistro restaurant downtown to have a nice dinner on NYE. 
It was DELICIOUS!!!


And, of course, we got all spiffed up :)  




Below are just our appetizers :)  I didn't get any pictures of our actual 2nd, 3rd, or 4th courses! 
But, oh, we rolled out of this place!


Then, while watching LOADS of football on New Years Day, I made my Meme's gumbo!
For my first time making roux…it turned out perfect!


And Matt won this little gem at a dirty santa party at work…so we made these biscuits, too.




We invited some friends over that night to enjoy gumbo with us and watch football.  It was such a fun time together and a great way to celebrate a new year!

The News.

On December 23, we got the news that we were not pregnant.  On December 24, we got to celebrate the coming birth of Jesus and take communion at church during a candlelight service, remembering that our Savior shares in our suffering and never gives us more than we can handle in this life. On December 25, we celebrated His birth.  

Though to me everything was "perfect" last month to get pregnant, God's plans are not my own.  His thoughts are higher than my thoughts, His ways higher than mine.  He tells me, "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and future."

Knowing the Lord is my strength.  Spending time with Him in His Word and prayer is where I find the strength to stand and walk daily.  He is my hope and my future.  As long as I have Him, I have everything. 

We will wait to see what He chooses to do with us/our lives in this New Year.  

Praise be to God from Whom all blessings flow!  
And we have many blessings for which to be thankful!  Not the least, the newest addition to our family over Christmas, Campbell. She reminds us daily of how we are to approach God, as she shows us how thankful she is to have been adopted into our family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment